On 21 June, a call went out for homeowners, schools, small businesses and community groups to register their interest in buying high quality, low-cost solar panels. The aim is to reduce electricity bills and help Suffolk become the Greenest County.
Solar Together Suffolk is a pioneering bulk-buying project, supported by Suffolk County Council and local borough and district councils. It aims to bring affordable solar power to Suffolk and boost the county’s renewable energy.
This comes at a time when many residents are interested in exploring solar energy but would welcome a helping hand to make an informed decision and find a trustworthy installer. Similar projects have delivered a discount of 25 – 30% to homeowners on the cost of a solar panel system. Typically, domestic users can expect their investment in solar panels to be repaid within 10 years.
How does the scheme work?
- Homeowners, schools, small businesses and community groups have until 21 August to register for free and without obligation at www.solartogethersuffolk.co.uk
- 22 August: pre-vetted UK solar PV suppliers participate in an auction. A large bulk order means they can pass on better savings to registered users.
- From 10 September: registered users will receive a personalised offer from the winning supplier.
- 19 October: deadline for registered users to make a decision.
- After accepting the offer, a technical survey will be arranged after which an installation date will be confirmed.
- Telephone and email support is available throughout the whole process and information sessions will allow registered users to make an informed decision in a safe and hassle-free environment.